Disability equipment programs

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can usually rent a TTY from your phone company through their disability equipment program for about the same cost as renting an ordinary phone. You might need to get a relevant professional (eg GP, audiologist, speech pathologist) to sign the application form to confirm that you have a hearing or speech impairment

Check with your phone company whether you need to keep your existing phone. Some TTY models can be used as an ordinary phone by other people in your household.

To find out more, contact:

For other phone companies, contact their customer service number.

You can also ask your phone company about other special equipment you might need – for example, if you can’t hear the phone ring or you can’t see the TTY screen well.

Make an Internet Relay call Make a Captioned Relay call

24-hour relay call numbers

  • TTY/voice calls

    133 677

  • Speak & Listen

    1300 555 727

  • SMS Relay

    0423 677 767

Make other relay calls
– all the numbers you need