Starting a call through the website
You can make a call straight away. Just click the 'Make an internet relay call' on the right-hand side of any page of the website and:
- type the area code and phone number you want to call into the phone number box
- type the letters/numbers in the image into the other box below (this is a security measure)
- click 'Connect now'.
Note that if you are making a 1300 or 1800 call then you will be asked to select your state/territory from a dropdown list.
Starting a call through the NRS app
Find out how to download and install the app on your smartphone or tablet. Open the app, go to the ‘Call options’ screen and select internet relay. On the internet relay call page:
- type the area code and phone number you want to call into the phone number box. If are ringing one of the Contacts stored in your device, just tap Contacts at the top right of the screen to select the number
- click 'Connect now'.
During the call
- Once you are connected, the relay officer will ring the person you want to call, and you can then start typing your side of the conversation in the message window.
- When you have finished each ‘turn’ or block of text, just click 'Send'.
- The relay officer becomes your voice and reads aloud to the person you are calling what you type on your computer, then listens to what the other person says and types it back for you to read.
- To end the call, type ‘goodbye sksk’ and when the other person says goodbye you can click ‘Hang up’.
You can also use the message window to type any instructions (put them in brackets) to the relay officer.
If you are using the NRS app you have access to other features such as pre-set start-up messages, pre-set phrases, profile information and the ability to provide Caller Notes (including instructions to the relay officer) and your location using your device’s GPS. See more.
The ease of receiving internet relay calls depends on:
- your device
- whether you are using the NRS app or a web browser.
Tablet or smartphone
Using the NRS app
Easy to receive calls
Using a web browser
Generally OK on:
Difficult to receive call notifications due to the limitations of current browser technology for tablets and phones
First you need to be registered
If you want to be able to receive calls on internet relay, you will need to register. This is a simple online process that can be done through the website version of internet relay or through the NRS app.
To receive a call
- Login with your ‘login phone number’ and password. You are then available to receive calls if someone rings you
- When someone calls, you can receive a notification of the incoming call on the app and also on many browsers on desktop and laptop computers – see more about notification.
- Go to your internet relay browser window (or app pop-up message) and click the ‘Accept’ button
- Type ‘Hi, [NAME] here. GA’ or something similar and click ‘Send’
- Wait for your caller’s greeting , and wait to read GA before replying.
The call continues as a turn-taking conversation just like it does if you were initiating the call.
If you want someone to call you through internet relay just ask them to ring 1300 553 467 and follow the prompts.
- See the video demo on making an internet relay call through the website.
- See the Auslan version of the same demo.
- See the video about the NRS app.